(University of Ghana Medical Centre in partnership with the Ministry of Health)
The public need for near real-time access to trusted and dedicated services for coronavirus self-help information, self-monitoring and management has become urgent since the outbreak of the pandemic. The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) in partnership with the Ministry of Health and with the support of PharmAccess Foundation, has developed an innovative digital service (CovidConnect) which allows you to monitor your health in relation to key symptoms of the Covid-19 from the comfort and safety of your own home. Through this digital service, you are directly connected to a dedicated medical team at UGMC who will remotely monitor your symptoms and provide quality medical support, medical advice and also seamlessly connect you to expert psychological counselling, testing and in-hospital management, if the need arises.
CovidConnect, which is provided by UGMC at no cost to users of the digital service, will initially be available to residents in Greater Accra region and will be extended to other Covid-19 hotspot regions in Ghana. This is not a replacement of regular healthcare services but an additional service.
The CovidConnect Service is powered by an app designed by Luscii (based on the experience with management of hundreds of thousands of Covid-19 related cases in Europe) and currently being used in multiple countries.
Please note: This app is an add-on to existing care and will not replace regular nor emergency care. In case you require immediate medical care even though you are using this app, look for medical help yourself in the way you are used to. Also note that your complaints can be caused by something else than the coronavirus.
How does the UGMC Coronavirus programme help me?
The app guides and reminds you to provide daily details on your health from your location. For example, how much you cough, whether you are short of breath and whether you have fever. We will send you a reminder every morning at 09:00. UGMC’S response centre will analyse these answers. If there is a medical reason for contacting you, the UGMC response centre will do so within 24 hours (by telephone or through a message in the app). If there is no medical need to contact you, you will receive a message from us within 48 hours. If you want us to give you a call ring, please indicate that in the app and we will respond within 24 hours.
Who can sign up to the UGMC programme?
- The UMC CovidConnect app is available for all people in Accra/Ghana. We are working to make the service available more broadly as soon as possible.
- To use this app, you will need access to an internet connection and a smartphone or tablet with Android version 7 or higher or Apple version iOS 12 ios12 or higher.
- You must be 18 years or older to use this app..
How Do I signup?
- Register for free using the form below.
- If you meet the eligibility criteria, you will receive instructions by e-mail to install the Luscii app on your smartphone or tablet.
- In the app, you will answer questions daily on your health and well-being. We will send you a reminder every morning at 09:00.
- The UGMC response centre will analyse these answers
- If there is a medical reason for contacting you, the UGMC response centre will do so within 24 hours (by telephone or through a message in the app).
The UGMC medical team can remotely monitor the health of a large group of people using the coronavirus programme. We expect this to enable us to better respond to the medical needs of patients. With your help, we are better prepared for possible consequences of the coronavirus outbreak.
The University of Ghana Medical Centre’s Coronavirus programme has been developed in a very short timeframe to address some of the coronavirus healthcare challenges we face in Ghana. The programme will start as a basic version and will be further developed in the coming period. We reserve the right to stop your participation or reject new registrations, for example if our capacity requires us to do so.